Think back to the last time you had an outing with a friend or significant other. What did you do prior to actually spending time with them?
Did you give them a vague idea of what you’d be doing? Did you tell them that your visit could happen whenever you felt like it? Did you show up to your outing without any expectations of how things would be going?
If you’re the average person, the answer is most likely a no. You and I understand the importance of planning when it comes to major events.
Similarly, you need to apply the same type of careful planning to major lifestyle changes as you do to visits with friends or dates with significant others.
Only through planning, goals, and expectations will you be able to transition into the type of lifestyle that you have dreamed about.
#1. Categorizing Your Lifestyle Goals
Josh and I have been playing with a system to bring meaning and purpose to our lives called ‘Project Life’ – working title. It is something that we love doing and we do it every single day. We have this weekly and monthly check in. And later this month we are doing a quarterly check in and we are doing that as an away weekend. It is something I hope to release as a program or app in 2018.
We’ve drawn on other tools like my personal favorite Zig Ziglars Wheel of Life that helps you to achieve a more balanced lifestyle of your choosing.
Ziglar’s Wheel consists of 7 different sections that include the following:
- Personal and Social Goals
- Work and Career Goals
- Family Goals
- Spiritual Goals
- Financial Goals
- Mind/Intellectual Goals
- Physical/Health-Related Goals
We may not realize it yet but the way in which we approach our lives can be entirely unbalanced.
For example, someone who is fulfilled in their career may be devoting every available minute towards working but they may be deeply suffering in the family aspect of their lives.
Another person may be at peak health but could have absolutely no social life.
We are each unique and there is always an area in which we could improve. Take a look at the categories above and make a list of things you would like to do in that area.
The actions don’t have to be large in order to make an impact. A goal in the financial area could be as simple as saving $10 by the end of the month or $100,000 by the end of the year.
However, you need to be sure that the goal you set is realistic. If you never work out, you can’t expect yourself to lose 50 pounds over the course of a month.
Plan based on your habits, personality, and motivation to accomplish your goal.
#2. Tasking It Out
It’s great to have goals but it’s better to have actionable steps that you can take to be able to reach those goals.
Let’s pretend that one of your goals is to lose 20 pounds over the next 3 months. It’s a great goal and it’s realistic. However, how are you going to get there?
This is where you need to further specify your goal and map out your actions. A sample might look like this:
- I want to lose 20 pounds over the next 3 months.
- I can do this by cutting back on sweets, tracking my calories, and ditching my daily soda.
- I can also do this by being more active and moving during my off time.
- One thing that may help me is an exercise program I found here…
Once you feel as though you have sufficiently come up with all of the actions you can take to reach your goal, you can write them down and look at them daily to start incorporating these important habits into your day.
Under Ziglar’s Wheel, he also provides seven of his own steps to create actionable goals.
- Identify the goal you want to reach as specifically as possible.
- Come up with a list of benefits that will come out of reaching your goal.
- List some of the obstacles that might hinder your progress.
- Figure out what you need to know or learn in order to reach your goal.
- Think about some of the people who can help you to achieve your goal.
- Create a plan of action.
- Set a deadline for your goal.
#3. Ensure Passion
Without passion, whatever goal you set for yourself is going to fall through. If you don’t feel the need to lose 20 pounds, then working out will be a chore and a waste of your time.
Only set goals for yourself that you truly want to achieve. You’ll know when you want to truly take action because you’ll be excited every time you take action towards your desired result.
Along with tasking out your goals, tools such as journaling and vision boards can be extremely helpful in creating the lifestyle you have always wanted. This is what we will be tackling on the next podcast.
While you are waiting to continue your lifestyle freedom journey, feel free to visit my website because you are in for a treat at the end of November, I am running the “How to Plan Your Ideal Freedom Year Workshop”. It’s the 3rd year that I am running this and I absolutely adore doing it.
- We set out and achieve your perfect 2018 year and we get started on planning it out
- I show you exactly how to prioritize what you are putting into your calendar for next year.
- We move into goal setting.
- You get my content, editorial and marketing plan template.
- We look at how we can plan out your entire content for all of next year regardless of what business you are in.
- And so much more!
It’s a 90 minute DOING workshop. So if you want to find out more details about that, head here. And the most genius part about it is even if you can’t come along live, after it I get it split out into a mini course that you will always be able to refer back to and look at.
So if you want to enter 2018 like a rockstar, I think it’s probably going to be a pretty awesome deal for you.
Tune into the next episode where we are going to be talking about the lifestyle freedom journey and continuing on with what we’ve been doing in Season 4.
Want reliable hosting for your blog and website at 50% off?
- HostGator allows you to run your business from anywhere, at anytime, with their 99.9% uptime guarantee.
- HostGator won’t take up any room in your suitcase, but will still be there for every step of your adventure with their 24/7/365 live support.
- Thanks to their 24/7 – 365 days a year live support – which you can get via chat, phone and email – any and all questions you have can be answered in no time at all.
HostGator has partnered with me to help my listeners get started. Click the link below to get 50% off any shared hosting plan.